Skip to main content

Why I chose to pursue OT . . .


From a young age, I knew I wanted to pursue a career in the medical field, but I was unsure what exactly I would chose. With both of my parents being pharmacists, I thought this would be a perfect fit for me and began exploring it. I looked at educational requirements, prerequisites and job outlooks, but ultimately decided pharmacy was not for me. During my junior and senior year of high school, I began exploring other medical careers. I eventually shadowed a pediatric OT, and fell in love with it. I knew very quickly that this is what I wanted to spend my career doing. During my years at Tennessee Tech University, I continued shadowing occupational therapists and confirmed that this is what I wanted to do. I observed how the therapists enjoyed what they were doing and did not dread going to work everyday. Additionally, I felt that several of my personality traits would allow me to be an excellent occupational therapist. I truly enjoy helping others and have a passion for health care, so I saw this as a good way to enjoy my future. Also, occupational therapy looks different for each client and is not "cookie-cutter" patient mill. This permits creativity to allow you to best fit the needs of each individual person.

I am thankfully for the opportunities I had that led me to chose occupational therapy and to this point in my life. I hope to one day inspire and mentor a future OT. I hope you enjoyed my story!

Comments

  1. Hi Kaylee, I enjoyed reading your OT origin story and am so glad to have you in our program!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment


Logan and I on our first day of OT school.

Popular posts from this blog

Assistive Devices

When deciding what assistive device is best for each client, there are many factors that need to be considered in order to have the best "fit." It is important to consider the physical condition of the client, including their disability, weight bearing status, strength, and balance. For example, if the client is not allowed to put any weight through one leg, you would not want to suggest they receive a cane.  Additionally, it is important to fit the assistive device to your client to ensure safety and proper body mechanics. If the client's crutches are too short and not adjusted to match their landmarks we use to fit, then they will likely have poor body mechanics.  If these factors are not considered, it can be detrimental to your client and cause an increase in risk for falls or further injury. To properly fit a cane or rolling walker to your client, the hand grip should be at the level of their greater trochanter to allow their elbow to be flexed 20-30 de...

Mobility

As  the activity demands of an individual increases, the need for greater confidence in mobility does too. The hierarchy of mobility skills, from the most stable to the least, is: bed mobility, mat transfer, wheelchair transfer, functional ambulation for ADL, toilet and tub transfer, car transfer, functional ambulation for community mobility, and community mobility and driving. This sequence is logical and decreases in support as the client progresses through the levels. The base of support varies for each skill. The largest base of support is with bed mobility, which is also the lowest level on the hierarchy. For the highest level, community mobility and driving, there is more maneuvering through environments other than the home. This means extra walking or transfers than the client would usually perform in the home. This is what I have observed in my past experiences. For a client who is very weak and in the hospital, ...

The Soldier's Pinky

If the soldier lost the bet, he was to lose his pinky. Although the pinky is the smallest finger, it still plays an important role in our daily activities. Without the pinky, our grasps would not be as efficient. To grasp something small, the pinky wraps tightly around the object to prevent it from slipping out of the hand. The pinky is involved in spherical, power, hook, and cylindrical grips. Without the pinky's help with these grips, it would be more difficult and cause greater use of the four remaining fingers.  An occupation that would be affected if the soldier lost his pinky thumb would be fighting in war. It would be difficult for him to accurately aim the gun to hit his intended target. He would have less stabilization than he would with all his fingers intact. Also, guns are heavy and without the pinky it would be more work on the other fingers to hold tightly to the gun. To adapt this difficulty for the soldier, he could use a gun that is ...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate