Skip to main content

"Finding a Path Through Paralysis"

I watched a TED Talk called “In Disaster There is Opportunity - Finding a Path Through Paralysis” by Martyn Ashton. Martyn was a professional mountain bike rider for 25 years. During one of his stunts, he sustained a spinal cord injury (SCI). 

Fast forward one hour after his accident, Martyn was in the MRI machine and finally able to think about what had just occurred. Many questions ran through his head like “how will I work?” and “how will I be a good dad and husband?” During this struggle and uncertainty, he began to become excited about his future and the positive that he could control the outcome of his mindset. His competitive spirit wondered how he could become the best paraplegic. In the past, this very same energy is what helped him get things accomplished.

After the initial stages of his recovery, Martyn tried several sports like basketball, tennis, and kayaking, but had little success. He had not forgot about his passion of riding and was determined to give it a try again. After not enjoying or succeeding in other sports, he decided to figure out a way to get back on his bike. Gravity and starting at the top of a mountain would allow him to do this. One and a half years after Martyn’s accident, he got back on a mountain bike and was ready to ride down the mountain. He had a bucket seat placed on his bike to allow him to be more stable. He was so excited to be back doing what he loved and be with his friends doing it.


As a future occupational therapist, it is crucial to find what is meaningful and motivating to each client. If I were Martyn’s OT, it would be important to know he enjoyed being active. This would allow me to encourage him to try new things he would be capable of doing after his accident. Additionally, Martyn would like to be challenged and something he could competitive. This would motivate him and help him get back to doing something he loved. I found this to be an encouraging story. Martyn found a way to continue to do what he loved, even though it was modified. I chose to watch this TED Talk because it is about someone who overcame their barriers and got back to doing what he loved. Additionally, it is necessary to look at the strengths and abilities of a person before the accident, and to know their motivation after the accident. It is not everyday that you will work with a client who is a World Champion, but it essential to meet them where they are and support them in their journey. I would suggest this story to someone who has sustained a SCI because there is hope. If they are unable to find a way to find a way to return to the same thing they enjoyed before, they can find something they enjoy with the abilities they have.


Talks, T. (2017, December 19). In Disaster There is Opportunity - Finding a Path Through Paralysis | Martyn Ashton | 
        TEDxBristol. Retrieved August 18, 2019, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYebJBcLZHA
Image retrieved from Google Images

Comments


Logan and I on our first day of OT school.

Popular posts from this blog

A Self-Portrait of a Leader

My thoughts on drawing my self-portrait in regards to leadership have changed a little bit since starting OT school. Below I have posted the most recent drawing on the left and the one completed at the beginning of OT school on the right. There are many things that have remained the same; however, there were differences in my 2 drawings. The first major difference is I believe it is important to have a mix of creativity and organization in leadership, and before I thought organization was most important. Additionally, this time I added earrings to symbolize seeing myself as a leader, but I believe this often depends on the situation and if a strong leader is not already present in the group/setting.

Mock Interview Reflection

      Overall, I feel like the mock interview went well for me. I was nervous leading up to the experience and kept reminding myself it was low stakes. I liked that the interview only lasted 10 minutes, because if it happened to go really poorly, it would be over soon. Additionally, I appreciated getting feedback in real time right after the interview was over. This helped me to know what I could improve on next time, but also gave me feedback on what I did well.  I prepared for the interview by thinking through and writing down my thoughts to help me process how I would answer questions. I also looked at the resources we were provided, such as top interview questions and questions to ask during an interview. I also verbalized out loud to a peer to practice saying my thoughts.  I was not prepared to answer what my career goals were, so I would have responded with a better answer if I was more prepared.  In a real-life interview situation, I will give myself time to pause and think how

Parkinson's and Deep Brain Stimulation

   I watched a TED Talk called “Parkinson’s, depression and the switch that might turn them off” by neurosurgeon Andres Lozano. I chose to watched this because I was unfamiliar with deep brain stimulation until we discussed it in class. I wanted to further my knowledge on this subject and the diagnoses that it can be effectively used. Neurosurgery has been around for 7000 years. Originally, people with psychiatric and neurological problems were thought to be possessed by evil spirits. In order to release the spirit, they thought they needed to cut a hole in the skull.    As we have learned, different parts of the brain control different functions. If there is a dysfunction in a specific area of the brain, there are specific functions that will be impaired. Dr. Lozano became interested in this and how deep brain stimulation can help people with various disorders. Deep brain stimulation is achieved by cutting a hole in the skull to reach an area of the brain with an electrode to tur

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate