Skip to main content

Post SIM Reflection

Overall, I think the SIM encounter went well. I still have areas to grow in, but I am improving each time we do this. This experience required us to explain many things in a short amount of time, which other SIMs have not required. I felt like I was talking really fast during the encounter. When I went back and watched the video, I was talking at a normal speed and didn't appear as nervous as I felt. This is something I need to be aware of in future practice because I do not want to show that I am nervous to a parent or child. 
If I was given the opportunity for a do-over in this SIM lab, I would have checked for understanding in a different way. Instead of asking multiple times if the parent understood what I was explaining, I would also be sure to ask if there is anything in their life and schedule currently that would meet Libby’s need that we were addressing. This would allow the parent to think about their schedule while keeping the examples I provided in mind. 
An attitude of caring can be communicated to a parent by incorporating their child’s interests when matching their needs. For example, in the sensory schedule, I should have incorporated Libby’s interests in arts and crafts. This would allow the parent to see that I care and Libby is an individual person. Another way to communicate that I care as an OT student is by asking if the examples in the sensory schedule could fit into their current schedule. I did this by asking if the mother would be okay listening to loud music on the way to school instead of telling her to do it. It is a team approach and as future OTs, we need to be aware of how to provide opportunities for the client and parent to be most successful. 
I will be more aware of my language in the future and remember to refer to the child or client by name, instead of by “bystander” in this case. I didn’t call Libby by name as many times as I should have, and I think this could have increased the mother’s trust and confidence in me in a short meeting time.

Comments


Logan and I on our first day of OT school.

Popular posts from this blog

Mobility

As  the activity demands of an individual increases, the need for greater confidence in mobility does too. The hierarchy of mobility skills, from the most stable to the least, is: bed mobility, mat transfer, wheelchair transfer, functional ambulation for ADL, toilet and tub transfer, car transfer, functional ambulation for community mobility, and community mobility and driving. This sequence is logical and decreases in support as the client progresses through the levels. The base of support varies for each skill. The largest base of support is with bed mobility, which is also the lowest level on the hierarchy. For the highest level, community mobility and driving, there is more maneuvering through environments other than the home. This means extra walking or transfers than the client would usually perform in the home. This is what I have observed in my past experiences. For a client who is very weak and in the hospital, ...

Assistive Devices

When deciding what assistive device is best for each client, there are many factors that need to be considered in order to have the best "fit." It is important to consider the physical condition of the client, including their disability, weight bearing status, strength, and balance. For example, if the client is not allowed to put any weight through one leg, you would not want to suggest they receive a cane.  Additionally, it is important to fit the assistive device to your client to ensure safety and proper body mechanics. If the client's crutches are too short and not adjusted to match their landmarks we use to fit, then they will likely have poor body mechanics.  If these factors are not considered, it can be detrimental to your client and cause an increase in risk for falls or further injury. To properly fit a cane or rolling walker to your client, the hand grip should be at the level of their greater trochanter to allow their elbow to be flexed 20-30 de...

The Soldier's Pinky

If the soldier lost the bet, he was to lose his pinky. Although the pinky is the smallest finger, it still plays an important role in our daily activities. Without the pinky, our grasps would not be as efficient. To grasp something small, the pinky wraps tightly around the object to prevent it from slipping out of the hand. The pinky is involved in spherical, power, hook, and cylindrical grips. Without the pinky's help with these grips, it would be more difficult and cause greater use of the four remaining fingers.  An occupation that would be affected if the soldier lost his pinky thumb would be fighting in war. It would be difficult for him to accurately aim the gun to hit his intended target. He would have less stabilization than he would with all his fingers intact. Also, guns are heavy and without the pinky it would be more work on the other fingers to hold tightly to the gun. To adapt this difficulty for the soldier, he could use a gun that is ...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate