Skip to main content

Mock Interview Reflection

     Overall, I feel like the mock interview went well for me. I was nervous leading up to the experience and kept reminding myself it was low stakes. I liked that the interview only lasted 10 minutes, because if it happened to go really poorly, it would be over soon. Additionally, I appreciated getting feedback in real time right after the interview was over. This helped me to know what I could improve on next time, but also gave me feedback on what I did well. I prepared for the interview by thinking through and writing down my thoughts to help me process how I would answer questions. I also looked at the resources we were provided, such as top interview questions and questions to ask during an interview. I also verbalized out loud to a peer to practice saying my thoughts. I was not prepared to answer what my career goals were, so I would have responded with a better answer if I was more prepared. In a real-life interview situation, I will give myself time to pause and think how I want to answer the question if an answer doesn't quickly come to mind. I would rather answer directly instead of providing a long answer that only kind of gets to the point. I learned many things throughout the mock interview process and preparation, but one thing I will remember is to breathe. I could feel my heart beating and my voice shaking as I answered questions. This in return made me feel more nervous and less focused on the questions I was being asked. After a few minutes in, I decided to slow down and not rush through my answers. By doing this, I felt my voice strength, my heartbeat wasn't overpowering what I could hear, and I became less nervous. This carries over into becoming an occupational therapist because it is important to not appear nervous. If our clients observe this in us, it can make them feel nervous too or like we do not know what we are doing. 

     I am thankful for this experience and how it has prepared me for the future!

Comments


Logan and I on our first day of OT school.

Popular posts from this blog

A Self-Portrait of a Leader

My thoughts on drawing my self-portrait in regards to leadership have changed a little bit since starting OT school. Below I have posted the most recent drawing on the left and the one completed at the beginning of OT school on the right. There are many things that have remained the same; however, there were differences in my 2 drawings. The first major difference is I believe it is important to have a mix of creativity and organization in leadership, and before I thought organization was most important. Additionally, this time I added earrings to symbolize seeing myself as a leader, but I believe this often depends on the situation and if a strong leader is not already present in the group/setting.

Parkinson's and Deep Brain Stimulation

   I watched a TED Talk called “Parkinson’s, depression and the switch that might turn them off” by neurosurgeon Andres Lozano. I chose to watched this because I was unfamiliar with deep brain stimulation until we discussed it in class. I wanted to further my knowledge on this subject and the diagnoses that it can be effectively used. Neurosurgery has been around for 7000 years. Originally, people with psychiatric and neurological problems were thought to be possessed by evil spirits. In order to release the spirit, they thought they needed to cut a hole in the skull.    As we have learned, different parts of the brain control different functions. If there is a dysfunction in a specific area of the brain, there are specific functions that will be impaired. Dr. Lozano became interested in this and how deep brain stimulation can help people with various disorders. Deep brain stimulation is achieved by cutting a hole in the skull to reach an area of the brain with an electrode to tur

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate