Skip to main content

Mock Interview Reflection

     Overall, I feel like the mock interview went well for me. I was nervous leading up to the experience and kept reminding myself it was low stakes. I liked that the interview only lasted 10 minutes, because if it happened to go really poorly, it would be over soon. Additionally, I appreciated getting feedback in real time right after the interview was over. This helped me to know what I could improve on next time, but also gave me feedback on what I did well. I prepared for the interview by thinking through and writing down my thoughts to help me process how I would answer questions. I also looked at the resources we were provided, such as top interview questions and questions to ask during an interview. I also verbalized out loud to a peer to practice saying my thoughts. I was not prepared to answer what my career goals were, so I would have responded with a better answer if I was more prepared. In a real-life interview situation, I will give myself time to pause and think how I want to answer the question if an answer doesn't quickly come to mind. I would rather answer directly instead of providing a long answer that only kind of gets to the point. I learned many things throughout the mock interview process and preparation, but one thing I will remember is to breathe. I could feel my heart beating and my voice shaking as I answered questions. This in return made me feel more nervous and less focused on the questions I was being asked. After a few minutes in, I decided to slow down and not rush through my answers. By doing this, I felt my voice strength, my heartbeat wasn't overpowering what I could hear, and I became less nervous. This carries over into becoming an occupational therapist because it is important to not appear nervous. If our clients observe this in us, it can make them feel nervous too or like we do not know what we are doing. 

     I am thankful for this experience and how it has prepared me for the future!

Comments


Logan and I on our first day of OT school.

Popular posts from this blog

Assistive Devices

When deciding what assistive device is best for each client, there are many factors that need to be considered in order to have the best "fit." It is important to consider the physical condition of the client, including their disability, weight bearing status, strength, and balance. For example, if the client is not allowed to put any weight through one leg, you would not want to suggest they receive a cane.  Additionally, it is important to fit the assistive device to your client to ensure safety and proper body mechanics. If the client's crutches are too short and not adjusted to match their landmarks we use to fit, then they will likely have poor body mechanics.  If these factors are not considered, it can be detrimental to your client and cause an increase in risk for falls or further injury. To properly fit a cane or rolling walker to your client, the hand grip should be at the level of their greater trochanter to allow their elbow to be flexed 20-30 de...

Mobility

As  the activity demands of an individual increases, the need for greater confidence in mobility does too. The hierarchy of mobility skills, from the most stable to the least, is: bed mobility, mat transfer, wheelchair transfer, functional ambulation for ADL, toilet and tub transfer, car transfer, functional ambulation for community mobility, and community mobility and driving. This sequence is logical and decreases in support as the client progresses through the levels. The base of support varies for each skill. The largest base of support is with bed mobility, which is also the lowest level on the hierarchy. For the highest level, community mobility and driving, there is more maneuvering through environments other than the home. This means extra walking or transfers than the client would usually perform in the home. This is what I have observed in my past experiences. For a client who is very weak and in the hospital, ...

The Soldier's Pinky

If the soldier lost the bet, he was to lose his pinky. Although the pinky is the smallest finger, it still plays an important role in our daily activities. Without the pinky, our grasps would not be as efficient. To grasp something small, the pinky wraps tightly around the object to prevent it from slipping out of the hand. The pinky is involved in spherical, power, hook, and cylindrical grips. Without the pinky's help with these grips, it would be more difficult and cause greater use of the four remaining fingers.  An occupation that would be affected if the soldier lost his pinky thumb would be fighting in war. It would be difficult for him to accurately aim the gun to hit his intended target. He would have less stabilization than he would with all his fingers intact. Also, guns are heavy and without the pinky it would be more work on the other fingers to hold tightly to the gun. To adapt this difficulty for the soldier, he could use a gun that is ...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate